October 22, 1855-Dated, Ornate Hand-Inscribed Manuscript Broadside Certificate of Appreciation, headed: “Resolutions from the Glover Light Guards of the Washington Light Infantry” (of Boston, Massachusetts), Choice Fine.Original, very impressive Hand-Inscribed large Broadside Style Certificate, measuring 18.5” x 14.5” being a Resolution by the Glover Light Guards of Marblehead, Massachusetts thanking the Washington Light Infantry of Boston for their hospitality and kindness during a Glover Light Guards’ visit to Boston. This Certificate mentions by name three past officers of the Washington Light Infantry, including; Flagg, Upton and Allen, and also Col. Cassel of Somerville, who was apparently the commander in 1855.
Signing this Certificate are the committee members of the Glover Light Guards, listed as 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Lieutenants, F. Boardman, H. Osborn, W. Bowles, and B. Pitman. At the beginning of the American Civil War, Francis Boardman was the Captain of the Glover Light Guards Company H.
The Glover Light Guards was organized in 1852 as a unit of the 8th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Militia. The Washington Light Infantry of Boston was one of several militia units of that name. The first, and best known of these units was the original that was organized in Charleston, South Carolina in 1807. This Certificate is written with lovely 19th century calligraphy on a heavy wove paper, marked in the upper left corner with an embossed seal inscribed “Bristol Drawing Board.” It is complete and undamaged, having some expected light tone and foxing mostly seen around the outer marginal edges and some light brown humidity tone at the left side bottom corner with edges reinforced with masking tape being an early form of protection and reinforcement. A truly historic Broadside Certificate meant to be placed upon display, from one Militia unit to another.