c. 1840s, Colorful Hand-Painted Mezzotint on Glass Print titled, “Croton Fountain NY”, Framed, About Very Fine.No doubt rare, this Hand-Painted Mezzotint on Glass measures about 7.5” x 9.5” (by sight), framed to 13” x 15”. Colorful image shows a depiction of the fountain in Croton City Hall Park with it’s 50 foot spray of water, a young couple watching the fountain stand along its inner fence, a boy chasing a horse drawn carriage to catch a ride, and shows other people just strolling on the walkways. Two militia soldiers, one on horseback are shown in their dress uniforms passing by. Period wooden framed with early original period glass. Some scattered inpainting noted, particularly to the right side buildings. Gold painted text at bottom reads: “CROTON FOUNTAIN N.Y.”
A dazzling City Hall fountain sprays Croton water. It took five years to build the Croton Aqueduct-the engineering marvel that brought fresh upstate water to Manhattan through a series of pipes and reservoirs. When this incredible delivery system of clean drinking water finally opened on October 14, 1842, a celebration was in order. “On opening day in 1842, President John Tyler was on hand to witness the plume from the Croton-fed City Hall fountain surge 50 feet high.” President Tyler wasn’t the only dignitary in the crowd. Former presidents John Quincy Adams and Martin Van Buren also attended. The Croton Fountain, which had a 100-foot stone basin, was the city’s first decorative fountain. Its spire of water dazzled New Yorkers until 1871, when a new fountain designed by Jacob Wrey Mould (he designed bridges in Central Park and decorative elements at Bethesda Terrace) replaced it.