Item #105080Price: $395.00Add to CartMake Your Best Offer...
<< PreviousNext >>   •   Table of Contents
1850's Oregon Territory "Fort Dalles Post Bakery" Chit

1850's Fort Dalles, Oregon Territory, Military Chit (Voucher), Oregon Territory, "Fort Dalles Post Bakery. Good For 2 Rations Bread." Choice Very Fine.

This rare colorful 1850's military voucher from the Oregon Territory reads: "Fort Dalles Post Bakery. good for 2-Rations Bread." The chit is endorsed on the back "S. H. Steele, P.T. (Post Treasurer)." Fort Dalles was in use from 1850 to 1866 only, so the chits would have been used during the Territorial period. Printed in black on heavy violet cardstock, measuring 2.25" x 1.75" in circulated condition. A nice early Oregon Territory Military Fort chit and the fist we have offered.



Additional Information:

In 1853 the 10-mile square required by the government for self-sufficient Oregon Trail forts was shrunk to a mile square. C/O Bvt. Maj. (Brevet Major) Benjamin Alvord took the precaution of changing "Camp Drum" to "Fort Drum," even though the facility was never stockaded or fortified, to ensure its square mile. Shortly afterward it became Fort Dalles. The newly available waterfront land allowed civilian development, and the town began to expand.

The formation of Wasco County in 1854, plus the discovery of gold near Colville to the north, brought more white traffic into the area and increased the incidents of violence. Maj. Granville O. Haller, using regular and volunteer troops, captured and executed some Indians who committed atrocities against wagon trains, but the military was greatly outnumbered east of the mountains.

An attempt was made in 1855, with treaties signed near Walla Walla and The Dalles, to avert all-out war and to confine the Indians to reservations in return for guaranteed hunting and fishing rights. But it became obvious that conditions were deteriorating and that the old fort buildings were no longer adequate to handle the inevitable expansion of hostilities: the Yakima Indian War.

The arrival, early in 1856, of Col. George Wright with several divisions of the reorganized 9th Infantry, began Fort Dalles' busiest period.

Determined to enforce treaty compliance, Wright moved north after being delayed by a raid at the Cascades in which both the military outpost and civilian settlement came under attack by Klickitat Indians. Fort Dalles was now headquarters for a regiment, the main military depot for all goods and supplies destined for soon-to-be Forts Simcoe and Walla Walla to the north and east.
Item #105080Price: $395.00Add to CartMake Your Best Offer...
<< PreviousNext >>   •   Table of Contents